VLC is one of those programs that you can find on almost any computer. In fact, we are so used to use it is very possible that many of us whenever we do have complied with the basic form, and we have not stopped to look at everything we can do.
And it is able to do much, because this playback application lets you from ripping a Blu-ray, DVD or CD, to record what you’re doing on your desktop, or change the format a particular file. There are known functions, but only some of which you can find if you browse a bit from their menus.
1. Download a YouTube video
On the network, you can encounter plenty of tools with more or less success allow you to download videos from YouTube. But although the process may not be entirely comfortable, if you use VLC also use it for the same. All you have to do is go to the video you want to download, copy its URL from the address bar and follow these steps:
- In VLC, click on the menu Middle and then on open network location.
- Paste the address you copied earlier and give to Play.
- Once you’ve done this, look for the menu Tools and open the menu Codec information.
- A window will appear, and at the bottom, you will see a picture where it says Location: Do right click on the contents of that box and you press Ctrl + C to copy it.
- That is the direction of the video on YouTube servers. Only copied in your browser and when you start playing right and elegies do click save video as.
2. Record your desktop
VLC or is not intended to be powerful enough to record your games to the latest video games market tool. But what it is perfectly capable of allowing you to make small recordings, those with which you can show a problem to your geek friend or be the one to explain to someone else how to use your computer.
- First, click on the menu Middle and then the option Open capture device.
- Once inside click on the drop-down capture mode and select the option Desktop.
- You a box that lets you choose will appear Frame Rate. There you who choose the rate being 15 f / s possibly a sufficient measure for desktop recording and 30 f / s to record something that you are going to do with faster movements.
- Now click on the arrow next to reproduce, and in the dropdown choose Convert.
- The recommended profile is the MP4, but if you do not conform to the default parameters, with the setting button can adjust to your taste aspects such as the resolution or bitrates.
- In File destination choose where you want the video to be saved and press Start.
And these were the steps. Once you press Start VLC is playing what you do. Let go well while doing the action you want to record, and when you think you have finished click on the stop button.
3. Convert video files
Although not everyone knows, VLC also implement a tool that lets you convert and change the file type of your videos. In this way, when you have one in a format that does not serve you will not need any other tool to make another more convenient.
- First, enter the menu Environment and hit Convert.
- Click on Add and select the video or videos that you want to change the format. Then give to Convert / Save.
- You’ll be taken to a configuration menu where you can choose the profile and the format in which you save it.
- Also, add a name, a destination to save, and then click Start.
4. Use a video as wallpaper
VLC also offers options curious but not going to revolutionize your everyday life, no longer to be useful under some circumstances. To be able to have a video as wallpaper to go see him while you do other things without having to walk maximizing the player? Yes, this is also something you can do.
- Click on the menu Tools and select the option Preferences.
- Choose the option Video, and in the drop – down option Output * ** choose DirectX (DirectDraw).
- Save and restart VLC
- When you return to play a video, in the menu Video option will appear Set as wallpaper.
5. Subscribe and play podcast
If you are addicted to podcast maybe you’re already using some specific platform or application to manage them. But if you’re an occasional user VLC also lets you subscribe to your favorite and organize them to always keep them in order. However, to do so first you’ll have to know the address of the Podcast RSS that you want to subscribe.
- Press Ctrl + L or View -> Playlist to open it.
- In the playlist search option Podcast within the section Internet, and click the “+” sign appears when you move the mouse over it.
- Paste the RSS address of the podcast you want to add and click the OK button.
- Podcast menu in the playlist will appear all added, and clicking on them will see the list of available chapters.
6. Manage your online radio stations
But if yours is not so much a Podcast streaming content as something live, VLC also has the necessary tools to save and manage your favorite online radio stations. However, to do this you will also need to know the web address you want to add all.
- Enter Middle and select an Open network location.
- Put the URL of your favorite station and hit play.
- If you enter View and Playlist the station you will come out in the list and you can drag and save it to the media library for whenever you want to access.
7. Save your webcam
Usually, the webcam that you can buy usually come with the software needed to take pictures and videos with them. VLC possibly not as complete but if you want to give it a try, or simply do not want to have to install only applications that you use, it also allows you to record videos with it.
- As always, press the menu Middle, and then choose Open capture device.
- In the drop-down Capture mode chooses the option DirectShow.
- In Name of the video, device chooses your webcam, and the Audio your microphone.
- If you click on Advanced Options you can change all recording parameters, including the bitrates.
- If active advanced options option Device Properties, before recording will let you choose the software that came with the webcam.
- Press Play to make VLC streaming webcam, clicking on the record button that advanced controls to capture appears if active.
- If you prefer, you choose the Convert option to start to be recorded directly.
8. Rip a BluRay, DVD or CD
When you buy a Blu-ray, DVD or CD music you have to be aware that not always you can enjoy them anywhere. So you may be asking downloading a program to rip or make a digital copy of this content to always take it with you, something that can also be done with VLC.
- The first step is to go to the menu Environment and click on Convert.
- Click on the tab Disco.
- Choose whether it’s a Blu-ray, DVD or CD.
- Each of the three units has its own options from the tracks you want to copy to the audio or subtitle tracks you want to include.
- After configure it to your liking click on Convert / Save.
9. Video and Audio Effects
Not all options are hidden or difficult to access. Also, we need to know they have to be there like any other player, but perhaps you have not stopped looking. One is the one that allows you to manually edit the profiles of audio and video of your play.
- Click on the menu Tools and then Effects and filters.
- You have three tabs, two of which are to manually control audio effects and videos such as hue, brightness, contrast or saturation.
- There is a third tab to synchronize the subtitles or audio with the image.
10. Add a watermark to a video
When using options engraving VLC also have the option to add your own watermark to any video without having to resort to any other editing program, it can be either a text as any kind of image.
- Again click on the menu Tools and then Effects and filters.
- In Video Effects looking the option Overlap.
- As you can see, you can add a logo or Text determining both its position and its transparency.
11. Control VLC from the browser
If you are using VLC on some Media Center you have connected to the TV, your life may be a little easier if you did not know that the media player allows you to remotely control your mobile phone or laptop. You only need to use the web browser on the same network.
- To activate the option go to Tools and Preferences.
- Go to the option Show settings bottom left and click all.
- In the section, Interface sees major interfaces and enables the option Web.
- In the left menu displays options main interfaces and access the option, Once there put a password on Lua HTTP.
- Restart VLC and allows access to the message that Windows Firewall will you.
- Now you can enter http: // localhost: 8080 / and enter the password to access the web control.
12. Add bookmarks to a video
VLC also gives you the ability to create bookmarks to jump to a particular time of video playback. So you can teach or recall a scene in particular of any series or movie, or even know where the key points are video tutorial you’re watching.
- In the menu playback clicks on the option Favorites custom.
- It will open a tab that you can give Create to go saving them.
- You can change the name to remember what scene you have saved.
- You can also edit the time if you have passed or have not reached the right time.
13. See videos in ASCII
This player has a few small curiosities that may not go to never use but can at least serve to show off to your friends letting them open – mouthed. One of them is the ability to watch your favorite videos in ASCII format.
- To achieve this effect first just click on the menu Tools and Preferences.
- Enter the submenu Video, and access the drop down output.
- Among the options, you’ll find video output ASCII-art Color, choose it and restart VLC.
- Now all you need to wear your favorite movie and enjoy it … in ASCII.
And since we are talking of little tricks that are curious but do not carry another hand, what if we turn to the classic VLC in VLC, which in turn is within a VLC inside another that is within another … you know where the shots go, like Christopher Nolan film in which a dream is inside another. Yes, you can also do to give a shock to someone who has left the PC on.
- The first is to press Ctrl + N or go to the menu Middle and enter Open network location.
- When entering URL, stick to writing Screen: //
- Give Play and be seduced by the curious effect…
15. Play videos without decompressing
On many occasions, when we got a video of Internet this can come compressed and even divided into several different parts. Well, although not everyone knows VLC is perfectly able to play these videos without decompressing.
All you have to do is open the file in VLC or drag VLC to play back automatically. The same procedure must be done when the archive is divided while ensuring that all parties that form it are all in the same folder.
16. Add subtitles
If you’re watching a video in a language you do not speak you might want to understand better what they say adding subtitles. Obviously, this feature could not miss a player like VLC, although you have three ways to do it.
- The first is the more manual, go to the menu Subtitle and click on Add subtitle file.
- Drag the subtitle file folder to reproduction.
- If you want VLC to do it automatically will be enough to have the SRT file in the same folder and with exactly the same name as the video file.